What Causes Stretch Marks? Real people are not always shining and perfect. All of us have got some or other scars. Stretch marks are one such scar on our body, which is a real thing and is absolutely normal. You are not different for having some or having many. But still, despite this fact, most of us want to get rid of these stretch marks as soon as possible and especially young people. So here let us see what exactly they are and how they are caused.
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks are the streaks or lines that develop on the skin which are silvery or white in color. They are commonly seen on various body parts such as hips, breasts, buttocks, thighs, and abdomen.
These can reduce with time but may take years.
Among the three layers of skin, stretch marks form in the middle layer, when the connective tissue is stretched beyond the limits of its elasticity.
The Stretch marks are commonly seen among boys, girls, men, or women of different age groups. All may have their own and different cause.
Some common causes of stretch marks are discussed as follows:-
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy is the most common factor seen in almost every pregnant woman that they get stretch marks during pregnancy or after birth. This is due to sudden expansion or compression of skin during pregnancy.
- Rapidly gained or loosed weight: An increase in weight rapidly causes stretch marks in both men and women. At puberty, the chances of getting stretch marks are more as at this stage weight is increased in both boys and girls. Also, when the weight is loose quickly and rapidly, then it also causes stretch marks as the excess skin gets sagged.
- Gyming: People who do weightlifting or bodybuilding also tend to have stretch marks as due to this, Muscle size increases and the skin gets stretched. It is mostly seen in men.
- Medical condition: Medical conditions such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Marfan syndrome, and Cushing’s syndrome also cause stretch marks. In Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, connective tissues of the body are weakened and In Marfan syndrome, the elasticity of skin tissue decreases whereas in Cushing’s syndrome body produces a lot of Hormones which causes rapid weight gain.
- Usage of Steroids: Prolongs use of some steroids cream such as corticosteroids can decrease levels of collagen in the skin.
Collagen strengthens the skin and a reduced amount of it increases the risk of stretch marks.
Stretch marks do no harm physically in any way, also do not cause any such medical problems but can cause mental issues like anxiety. People with stretch marks are seen as less confident. So let’s see some of the ways by which you can treat them.
Stretch marks can go away with time. But if someone wants to get away from it as soon as possible, can go for some treatments which can be costly and are also not always effective.
There are Creams, gels, lotions, and cosmetic surgeries which are the most commonly used treatments for stretch marks. The creams, gels, and lotions are easily available in the market but a doctor’s advice is always recommended.
Although, One can always hide stretch marks with Makeup.
Preventing stretch marks is not always possible but the risk can be reduced by the following steps:-
- Maintain a healthy weight. Regular exercises will help you in doing so.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet enriched with vitamins and minerals
- Drink more and more glasses of water every day
- Aiming for slow and gradual weight gain during gyming and pregnancy.
Do not try to gain weight instantly or rapidly in the gym. Also during pregnancy, try to do more and more pregnancy workouts and be more active.
In the end, I want to conclude it by saying What if you have stretch marks? What if you do not have Flawless skin? Don’t allow people to define YOUR BEAUTY or make you feel that you’re not enough. You are enough. Believe that!